Monday, January 28, 2013

Liver steak


One of my favorite breakfasts! And nepot's too! When I was young I used to have liver steak at least twice a week for breakfast. My dad used to tell us: that is good for you because it contains plenty of iron. Brain food!  So, now that I have my own kids, I do serve my family with it more often. I love beef or cow's liver than pig's liver, but my kids prefer the latter.  Sometimes, I have the liver ground to make delicious gravy. So that's extra nutrients for my family.       



If you can't slice liver thinly, ask your butcher  do it for you.  The thinner the better because you have to cook it fast.

Ingredients:

Half pound Liver , sliced into thin servings
1 Big onion, slice into rings
4 cloves Garlic, crushed and minced
3 Tbsp. Soy sauce
1 tsp. Pepper
3 pcs. Calamansi (extract only)
Oil for sautéing
1/4 cup Water


How to do it:

Saute garlic in oil.  Add the liver and mix. When the liver is done, which means there no more blood coming out when you prick it with a fork, pour water and soy sauce. Sprinkle with pepper. Bring to a boil. Add the onion rings and the calamansi extract.  Simmer for a while but don't overcook the onions. Adjust taste if desired. Serve with rice. 


Trivia: The longer you cook liver, the harder it gets. So make sure you just cook it right.  Opt for chicken liver if you want it to remain tender.
In place of calamansi, lime can be used. 

No comments: